Wednesday, January 4, 2012

St. Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery

The GlassStacker and I were out driving the other day and we happened on a Greek Orthodox Monastery. Let me back up a little bit... Leaving Red Wing we went west to I35, then south on I35 to I40, then west on I40 to I17, south on I17 to I10, then east on I-10 to exit 185 for Coolidge, then continue on toward Florence, bear right and take Route 79 south. At mile marker 124 turn left onto Piasano Drive. Follow this to the monastery parking lot.
We thought, "Wow, All this in the middle of the desert." The first thing we noticed as we exited the car was a sign that said "Modest clothing required" For me, long sleeves, long pants, for the GlassStacker, long sleeves, modest blouse, skirt, headcovering. We looked at each other... Fortunately the temperature was in the 60s so I was covered, but the boss had to borrow a skirt and babushka. She rolled up her pants, put on the borrowed skirt and scarf and we went on a tour.
A young priest/monk met us as we came in the gate. He was very eager to welcome us to the monastery and to get us started on the tour. He provided the requisite headgear and skirt as well as a tasty Greek cookie for each of us. I will say that the cookie was good, but it had a liberal dose of coconut, so I don't really know. The GlassStacker ate mine with a smile on her face.
St. Andrew's was established in 1995 by 6 monks from the Holy Mountain, Athos, Greece. The monastery has several chapels, each dedicated to a particular saint, gardens, pathways, orchards, vineyards, living quarters and guest facilities.
The monastery itself is dedicated to St. Anthony the Great, 251-356, and the main chapel is dedicated to St. Andrew and St. Nectarios the Wonder Worker. Other chapels are named for St. John the Baptist, Seraphim of Sarov, Demetrios of Thessalonica, George the Great Martyr, Nicholas the Wonder Worker, Panteleimon the Healer and the Prophet Elijah.
Incidentally, George The Great Martyr is none other than George the Dragon Slayer. If I have to have a favorite saint, this would be the one. There were several depictions of George with his sword stuck well into a dragon.
Each chapel is well adorned with chandeliers and many icons. There are no pews, worship is standing. There is a separate area for non-orthodox contemplation in each chapel and a very private area behind the altar for clergy.
The grounds are stellar. There are many plants from the desert, fountains, walkways and areas that invite meditation and contemplation. Stone and tile work abound. It is a magnificent oasis in the Sonoran Desert.
When we finished our tour we were at the gift shop. Since we had heard about the bread that is baked on the grounds each day, I headed right into the shop with a loaf on my mind. I got the last one for the day. We have been eating on it for a couple days now and I will say that it is pretty good. (Way too many carbs for an old man with blood sugar issues.)
While we were in the shop I eavesdropped on a conversation about "the Great Separation". Here is my take on it. The Roman patriarch (pope) in the 9th century made some changes in the church that were unacceptable to the other 4 patriarchs of the time. Rome went its own way, Roman Catholicism, and the others, Eastern Orthodox, continued in their traditional way. The schism became official when the Roman church severed itself from the Eastern Orthodox Church in 1054.
Just another beautiful day in the life.
The GlassStacker's Assistant

No comments:

Post a Comment